- Pachari/ White Rice – 1 cup
- Cooked ponni rice – 1/2 cup
- Grated carrot – 1 cup
- Sugar – 21/2 heaping tbsps.
- Salt – 3/4 tsp or to taste
- Coconut milk powder – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Water- as needed
Soak the white rice for 4 hours. Drain the water completely from the rice & grind it along with grated carrot, sugar, salt, coconut milk powder & cooked rice adding enough water; the batter should be thinner than Dosa batter and should be smooth.
Heat a pan & smear it generously with oil. Pour a ladleful of batter and flatten it slightly (like how you do for thattu dosas). Cover & cook the appam for 1-2 minutes on low heat. Now remove the cover & flip the appam; cook the otherside uncovered on medium heat till done. Now make appams with the remaining batter.