For the cake batter:-
- Plain flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking powder – 2.5 tsps.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 125 grams, softened
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3 numbers, medium
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsps.
- Evaporated milk (unsweetened) – 1/4 cup
For the soaking syrup:-
- Sugar – 2 tbsps.
- Water – 1 cup
- Lime juice – 1/4 tsp.
For the strawberry layer:-
- Strawberry – 1 cup
- Sugar – 9 heaping tbsps.
For the custard layer:-
- Gelatin- 1.5 tbsp./ 1 small sachet of gelatin
- Cold water – 1/4 cup
- Eggs – 3 numbers, medium, separated
- Evaporated milk (unsweetened) – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sweetened condensed milk – 1 tin/400 grams
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Fresh cream – 1 cup
- Whipped cream – 2 cups ( Beat 1 cup of cream till it holds peaks & use only 2 cups of beaten cream for this recipe)
Fresh strawberries – as needed
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 180C. Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder. Beat together the butter & powdered sugar till creamy for about 10 minutes. Beat in the 3 eggs one by one & beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence. Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the evaporated milk.Pour the batter into a 9″ square cake tin. Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes. Let this cake cool down completely to room temperature. Cut the cooled cake into 1/2″ thick slices. Arrange the cake slices on the base of a pudding dish & keep aside.
- For the soaking syrup, combine sugar & water & bring the mixture to a boil. Cook till the sugar dissolves completely & switch off heat. Add lime juice & mix. Let this cool down to room temperature. Pour the syrup evenly over the cake pieces.
- For the strawberry layer, crush the strawberries to a coarse paste in your mixer. Cook along with sugar till thick. Let cool completely. Spread the strawberry mixture over the soaked cake pieces.
- For the custard layer, soak gelatin in cold water for 20 minutes. Separate the yolks and whites of the 3 eggs. Mix the 3 beaten egg yolks with the milk & evaporated milk. Strain this mixture & add the sweetened condensed milk. Cook till the mixture is slightly thick. Remove from heat.
- Melt the soaked gelatin by double boiling method & add to the custard mixture. Let the custard cool completely. Add fresh cream, 2 cups of beaten cream & vanilla essence. Finally beat the 3 egg whites & fold in gently into the custard mixture.
- Pour this custard mixture carefully over the strawberry layer.
- Refrigerate for 5-6 hours or till completely set.
- Cut into pieces & serve chilled garnished with fresh strawberries.
Source:- Lakshmi Nair, Magic Oven