For the cake batter:-
- Plain flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking powder – 2.5 tsps.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 125 grams, softened
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3 numbers, medium
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsps.
- Whole milk – 1/4 cup
For the soaking syrup:-
- Freshly squeezed orange juice – 1.25 cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Water – 2 tbsps
For the creamy pineapple filling and topping:-
- Tinned pineapple – 2 cups + 1 cup (chopped)
- Granulated Sugar – 2.5 heaping tbsps.
- Hung curd/labneh– 1/3 cup
- Icing sugar – 5 heaping tbsps.
- Pineapple essence – 1/4 tsp.
- Yellow food colour – a pinch
- Whipping cream – 1/2 cup
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 180C. Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder. Beat together the butter & powdered sugar till creamy for about 10 minutes. Beat in the 3 eggs one by one & beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence. Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the milk.Pour the batter into a 8″ round cake tin. Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes. Let this cake cool down completely to room temperature. Cut the cooled cake horizontally into 2 halves.
- For the soaking syrup, combine sugar & water & mix till sugar dissolves completely. Add this to the orange juice & mix. Pour the syrup evenly over the cake pieces to soak them.
- For the pineapple filling & topping, grind 2 cups of tinned pineapple to a smooth paste using mixer/grinder. Add 2.5 heaping tbsps. of sugar & cook in the microwave on high power for 8-9 minutes or till thick. Let this cool down to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Beat the hung curd with icing sugar. Add the pineapple-sugar mixture, pineapple essence, yellow food colour to the hung curd & mix. Whip the cream till it holds peaks. Fold in the cream ino the pineapple-curd mixture. Chill for 1 hour.
- Place one half of the cake on a platter. Spread 3 tbsps. of the pineapple filling over it. Arrange 1 cup of chopped pineapples over the filling. Spread 3 tbsps. of pineapple filling on the other cake half & place it over the chopped pineapples to cover them.
- Spread the remaining pineapple filling/topping over the cake.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Cut into pieces & serve chilled.