- Potato – 4 cups, cut into small bite size cubes
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp. + /2 tsp. ; divided
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.+ 1 tbsp.; divided
- Onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 big cloves, finely/coarsely chopped
- Shallots – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
- Red chilly powder – 1 heaping tsp. or even more
- Salt as per taste
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Combine the potato cubes, water, 1 tbsp. of oil, 1.25-1.5 tsp. of salt & 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder in a medium sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil. Cover cook on low heat for 12-15 minutes. Do not over cook the potato pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a wok. Add the garlic, chopped onions, sliced shallots and enough salt. Cook till golden brown in colour. Add the red chilly powder, turmeric powder & cook for a minute on low heat.
- Stir in the cooked potato pieces & mix well with the masala. Cover cook on medium low heat for 2 minutes.
- Open the lid & fry for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.