For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 2 cups/ 200 grams
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Egg – 1 number, medium
- Oil – 4 tbsps.
- Instant yeast – 1.5 tsps. (level)
- Sugar – 1.5 heaping tsps.
- Lukewarm water – 3/4 cup or as needed
For the filling
- Chicken (cooked with salt & pepper and shredded) – 1 cup
- Pizza sauce – 2 tbsps.
- Green capsicum – 2 tbsps; finely chopped
- Sweet corn – 2 tbsps.
- Onions – 2 tbsps., finely chopped & sautéed in 1 tsp. of oil till pink
- Black olives – 2 tbsps., sliced
- Oregano – 1/4 tsp.
- Basil – 1/4 tsp.
- Cheddar cheese – 3/4 cup; grated
- Mozzarella cheese – 1/4 cup; grated
For the final stage:-
- Egg – 1 number, beaten
- Bread crumbs – as required
- Oil – for deep-frying
- Mix together the plain flour, egg, yeast, sugar, oil, salt and lukewarm water. Knead the dough for a good 15 minutes, also keep banging the dough as you knead. The dough should be slightly sticky. Cover with a damp cloth & keep undisturbed for 1-1.5 hours/ till the dough doubles in volume.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the filling. For the filling mix together the shredded chicken, pizza sauce, oregano, basil, sweetcorn, capsicum, onion, black olives, salt and cheese.
- Punch down the risen dough & divide it into 10 equal parts. Take a portion of the dough & roll it into a circle. Take a ball and flatten it to make a circle, place a little of the chicken cheese mixture in the center of the circle & roll the dough back again into a ball. Repeat with the other dough & filling portions.
- Dip each ball into beaten egg & roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. When the oil becomes really hot, reduce heat to minimum & carefully place the donuts into the hot oil. Deep fry on medium low heat till golden brown & crisp.
- Serve hot.