This recipe will yield 8 donuts.
For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 2 cups/ 200 grams
- Butter – 40 grams (chilled)
- Full cream milk powder – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Bread improver – 1/2 tsp. (optional)
- Sugar – 2 tbsps.
- Instant yeast – 2 tsps. (level)
- Salt – 1 tsp.(if covering the donuts with milk and white chocolate) or else use only 3/4 tsp.
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Egg – 1 number, medium
- Lukewarm water – 3/4 cup or as needed
For the final stage:-
- Oil – for deep-frying
- Mix together the plain flour, sugar, yeast, sugar, milk powder and bread improver. Rub in the chilled butter into the flour till the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add salt, egg, vanilla essence and lukewarm water. Mix all the ingredients to make a dough.
- Knead the dough for a good 15 minutes, also keep banging the dough as you knead. The dough should be slightly sticky. Cover with a damp cloth & keep undisturbed for 1-1.5 hours in a warm place/ till the dough doubles in volume.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions & shape each portion into a ball.
- Take a dough ball & roll it into a circle of 1/4″ thickness. Cut out a small circle from the center with the help of a nozzle to get the hole or use a donut cutter.
- Repeat with the other dough balls.
- Place the donuts on a dusted tray & cover them with cling film. Keep aside for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Heat oil for deep-frying the donuts. When the oil becomes medium hot, reduce heat to low & deep fry the donuts till both sides turn golden brown in colour.
- Drain on paper towels.