For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 2 cups/ 200 grams
- Salt -1 tsp.
- Egg – 1 number, medium
- Milk powder – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Butter (salted) – 1 tbsp.
- Instant yeast – 2 tsps. (level)
- Sugar – 1.75 heaping tsps.
- Lukewarm water – 3/4 cup or as needed
For the curried chicken filling:-
- Oil – 2 tbsps.
- Onion – 2 numbers, medium; finely chopped
- Garlic – 3 big cloves, minced
- Ginger – 1 heaping tsp.; minced
- Greenchilly – 1 number
- Madras curry powder – 1.5 tsps.
- Chicken – 250 grams (bolied & shredded)
- Cilantro – 1/4-1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp.
- Water – 2 tbsps.
- Salt as per taste
- Egg – 1 number, beaten
- Bread crumbs – as required
- Oil – for deep frying
- Mix together the plain flour, milk powder, egg, yeast, sugar, butter, salt and lukewarm water. Knead the dough for a good 15 minutes, also keep banging the dough as you knead. The dough should be slightly sticky. Cover with a a damp cloth & keep undisturbed for 1-1.5 hours/ till the dough doubles in volume. While the dough is resting, prepare the chicken filling.
- For the curried chicken filling, heat 2 tbsps of sunflower oil & add 2 medium onions (thinly sliced) + 1 greenchilly ( finely chopped)+ garlic+ginger & cook till the onions turn golden brown in colour.Add 1.5 tsps of Madras curry powder & 250 grams of cooked & shredded chicken. ( I had cooked the chicken with 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of kashmiri chilly powder & 1/4 tsp of coriander powder.) Add 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro & mix well.Add 2 tbsps. of water so that the filling is moist.Switch off heat & 1 tbsp of lime juice. Mix well & let this mixture cool down completely to room temperature.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and shape each portion like a hot dog roll/bun.
- Dip each shaped portion into the beaten egg & roll in bread crumbs. Keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying. When the oil becomes really hot, reduce heat to minimun & carefully place the rolls into the hot oil. Deep fry on medium low heat till golden brown & crisp.
- Make a slit at the center of each fried roll & stuff it with the curried chicken mixture generously.
- Serve hot.