For the base :-
- Plain flour – 1.5 cups
- Butter – 150 grams
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Ice water – 2-3 tbsps.
- Granulated white sugar – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps.
- Butter – 25 grams
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
- Powdered cinnamon – 1 tsp.
- Lemon zest – 1 tsp.
- Apples – 3 to 4 numbers, peeled, cored & thinly sliced
- For the short crust base, combine the plain flour, butter & salt in the bowl of your food processor till the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.Add the ice water & process again so that you get a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap & refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Combine 2 tbsps. of sugar, cinnamon powder, lemon juice & zest. Keep aside.
- Place a heat proof baking dish/skillet over the stove top & melt 25 grams of butter. Add 1/4 cup of sugar & cook till it caramelises. Remove the dish/skillet from heat & arrange the apple slices over the caramel. Again bring back the baking dish/skillet to the stove top & cook the mixture on low heat.
- Remove dish from heat & sprinkle the lemon-sugar mixture over the apple slices.
- Roll the dough into a thin circle & place it over the sliced apples. Tuck the overhanging dough between apples and inside wall of the baking dish/skillet.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200C for 30 minutes or till golden brown from the top.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Loosen edges with a sharp knife & carefully invert on to a platter.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.