For the burger patties:-
- Boiled and mashed potato – 2 numbers, medium (boiled & mashed)
- Soy granules – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp + as needed for shallow frying/grilling
- Ginger – 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 tbsp., finely chopped
- Greenchilly – 1 number, finely chopped
- Onion – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Hing – 1/2 tsp.
- Cilantro – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Bread slice – 1 number (churned in the mixer to get fresh bread crumbs)
For the sauce:-
- Eggless mayonnaise – 3 heaping tbsps.
- Mustard paste – 1 tsp.
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Sugar – 1/4 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Sugar – a pinch
- Vinegar – 1/2 tsp.
- Lime juice – 1/2 tsp.
- Cream – 1 tbsp.
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
For assembling the burger:-
- Burger bun – 6 numbers
- Butter – as needed
- Cheese slices – 6 numbers
- Lettuce leaf – 6 numbers ( immersed in ice water)
- Tomato – 1 medium,. thinly sliced
- Onion – 1 number, cut into thin slices
Let’s make the soy-potato patties first
- Dry roast the soy granules for 7-8 minutes or till it releases a nice aroma. Soak the soy granules in salted hot water for 30 minutes. Squeeze the soy granules & keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a broad non stick pan, add the minced garlic, greenchilly & ginger and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped onions and sauté on a medium heat till golden brown in colour.
- Add the turmeric & red chilly powders & cook on low heat for a minute.
- Add the soy granules & fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the boiled and mashed potatoes, cilantro, hing, salt and the fresh bread crumbs. Mix well for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Divide it into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into a circle of 3″diameter and 1 cm thickness. There is no need to crumb these patties.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a broad pan and shallow-fry each cutlet till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
For the lime mayo sauce
Mix together all the ingredients written under “for the sauce“.
To assemble the burger
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ½ tsp of butter on the inside of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tawa (griddle). Keep aside.
- Apply 1 tbsp of the mayo spread on the buttered side of all the bun halves.
- Place a lower half of the bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered-spread side facing up.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf and a patty over it. Place a cheese slice over the patty.
- Place a tomato slice and onion ring over the cheese slice and cover with upper half of the bun with the buttered side facing down and press it lightly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 5 more burgers.