For the cake batter:-
- Plain flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking powder – 2.5 tsps.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 125 grams, softened
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3 numbers, medium
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsps.
- Evaporated milk (unsweetened) – 1/4 cup
For the cream cheese layer:-
- Gelatin – 1/2 heaping tbsp. or 1/2 a small sachet of gelatin
- Cold water – 2 tbsps.
- Whipping cream powder (Dream brand)- 2.5 heaping tbsps.
- Cold milk – 3/4 cup
- Cream cheese – 1/2 cup ( I used Philadelphia cream cheese spread)
- Curd cheese/ Hung curd – 1/4 cup
- Castor sugar – 1/4 cup
- Pineapple tidbits in heavy syrup – 1/2 cup (drained from the syrup, do not discard the syrup)
- Pineapple essence – 1/4 tsp.
- Lime juice – 1 tsp.
For the jelly layer:-
- Pineapple jelly crystals – 40 grams/ half a packet
- Boiling water – 1/2 cup
Pineapple tidbits– as needed
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 180C. Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder. Beat together the butter & powdered sugar till creamy for about 10 minutes. Beat in the 3 eggs one by one & beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence. Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the evaporated milk.Pour the batter into a 9″ square cake tin. Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes. Let this cake cool down completely to room temperature. Cut the cooled cake into 1/2″ thick slices. Arrange the cake slices on the base of a pudding dish ( I used a 2.2l pudding dish) & keep aside. You may not need the entire cake for this recipe.
- Use the syrup from the can of pineapple tidbits to soak the cake pieces. You have to saok the cake pieces really well.
- For the cream cheese layer, soak gelatin in cold water for 20 minutes. Melt the soaked gelatin by double boiling method.Beat the whipping cream powder adding cold milk till the mixture holds stiff peaks.Keep the cream aside.Grind the pineapple tidbits using a mixer to a smooth puree. Beat together the cream cheese, castor sugar & curd cheese till light & fluffy. Add the dissolved gelatin, pineapple puree and pineapple essence, lime juice to the cream cheese mixture & beat again. Finally fold in the previously beaten cream.
- Pour this mixture over the soaked cake pieces.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or till partially set.
- For the jelly layer, add the pineapple jelly crystals to the boiling water & mix well. Let this cool down completely to room temperature. Carefully pour the jelly over the cream cheese layer.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or till fully set.
- Cut into pieces & serve chilled garnished with pineapple tidbits.
Note :- You can make the same pudding with mangoes and peaches.