This recipe does not use any leavening agents.
- Plain flour – 13/4 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 8 level tbsps.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 175 grams, softened
- Castor sugar – 13/4 cup
- Eggs – 4 numbers, large
- Vanilla essence – 1.5 tsps.
- Almonds – 1 cup
- Castor sugar – as required for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Toast the almonds at 180C for 10 minutes. Coarsely chop the nuts & keep aside.
- Sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Beat together the butter & powdered sugar till creamy for about 10 minutes. Beat in the 4 eggs one by one & beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture and the chopped nuts. Pour the batter into a prepared 9″ square tin. Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes
- Garnish with sifted castor sugar.
- Cut into squares.