For the cake batter:-
- Plain flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking powder – 2.5 tsps.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 125 grams, softened
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3 numbers, medium
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Pineapple essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice – 1/4 cup
- Orange zest – 1 tsp.
For the flan layer:-
- Gelatin – 1 tbsp.
- Cold water –1/4 cup
- Sweetened condensed milk – 200 grams or half a tin
- Whipping cream – 1/2 cup
- Castor sugar – 2 tbsps. (level)
- Lemon zest – 1/2 tsp.
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
For the fruits:-
- Pineapple tidbits in heavy syrup – 1/2 cup (drained from the syrup, do not discard the syrup)
- Mango – 1 number, peeled and chopped
- Red apple – 1 number, cored and chopped
- Icing sugar – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp.
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 180C. Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder. Beat together the butter & powdered sugar till creamy for about 10 minutes. Beat in the 3 eggs one by one & beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence, pineapple essence and orange zest. Fold in the sifted flour mixture alternated with the orange juice.Pour the batter into a 8″cake tin. Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes/ till a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let this cake cool down completely to room temperature. Cut the cooled cake horizontally into equal halves. Use only one cake half for this recipe.
- Place the cake half in a 8″ pudding dish.Use the syrup from the can of pineapple tidbits to soak the cake half. You have to soak the cake really well.
- Soak the gelatin in cold water for 15 minutes. Melt by double boiling and keep aside.
- Beat the whipping cream well till it holds peaks. Add the condensed milk, castor sugar, melted gelatin, lemon zest and lemon juice to the whipped cream and beat again. Pour this mixture over the cake. Refrigerate till partially set.
- Mix together the lemon juice, fruits and icing sugar. Spread them over the partially set cream layer and slightly press.
- Refrigerate till fully set.
- Cut into pieces and serve chilled.