For the rice:-
- Basmathi Rice – 1.5 cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsps.
- Bayleaf – 1 number
- Clove – 2 numbers
- Green cardamom – 2 numbers
- Black cardamom – 1 number
- Cinnamon – 1″ piece
- Boiling water – 3 cups
- Salt -1.5 tsp.
For the vegetable masala
- Carrot – 1 big, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- Cauliflower – half of a medium, separated into bite size florets
- French Beans – 15 numbers, cut into 1/2″ long pieces
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Canola oil – 2 tbsps. + as needed for deep frying the onions
- Onion – 3 medium; thinly sliced
- Onion – 2 medium; finely chopped
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers; slit
- Ginger paste – 1/2 tbsp.
- Garlic paste – 1/2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp. (level)
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Tomato – 1 medium/ 1/2 cup; finely chopped
- Thick curd – 1/2 cup
- Shahijeerah powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Chopped cilanto – 1/4 cup
- Chopped mint leaves – 2 tbsps.
For layering and dum:-
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Kewra water – a few drops
- Saffron – a generous pinch
- Wash the rice several times under running water & soak it in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water completely from the rice.
- Heat ghee in a pan & add the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon & cardamom. When you get an aroma of the spices add the rice & fry till it turns opaque. Pour 3 cups of boiling water & add 1.5 tsp of salt. Cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes. Keep the rice undisturbed for 10 minutes more.
- Mix together the carrot, beans, cauliflower and peas. Cook them in 3 cups of salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and refresh the cooked veggies under cold running water, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat plenty of oil in a frying pan. Add the 3 thinly sliced onions and fry on medium low heat till golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a pan & add the finely chopped onions & the slit greenchillies. Cook till the onions turn golden brown in colour. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for 7 minutes. Add coriander, turmeric and red chilly powders and fry for a minute on low heat.Add the tomato and cook for 15 minutes. Add curd and cook for 10 minutes or till oil separates. Add the boiled veggies, half of the fried onions, cilantro, mint and shahijeerah powder.
- Add the remaining fried onions to the cooked rice and mix gently.
- Transfer half of the cooked rice to a greased oven proof dish and pour half of the saffron milk over it. Spread the vegetable masala over the rice and top it with the remaining rice. Pour the left over milk over the rice. Cover the dish with an Al foil & bake the biriyani at 180C for 25 minutes.