For the cookie dough:-
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Semolina/ Coarse rava – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Dessicated coconut powder – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Butter – 50 grams, softened
- Sunflower oil – 2 tbsps.
- Caster sugar – 2 heaping tbsps.
- Egg – half a large egg
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
For brushing on top of the cookies:-
- Egg – half of a large egg, beaten
- Nuts (preferably blanched and halved almonds) – 5 numbers
For the soaking syrup:-
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the plain flour, salt, baking powder, dessicated coconut & semolina. Set aside.
- Beat together the butter, oil & caster sugar till creamy & light. Beat in the egg & essence.
- Fold in the sifted flour mixture to get a dough.
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.
- Flatten each ball slightly and place them on a cookie tray lined with foil.
- Flatten the cookies with a fork and brush them with the beaten egg. Place a nut at the center of each cookie and press lightly.
- Bake at 180C for 22-25 minutes/ till golden brown in colour.
- While the cookies are baking, prepare the soaking syrup. Combine water, sugar and lime juice ina medium saucepan & heat till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Pour the warm syrup over the hot cookies.
- Allow the cookies to absorb the syrup completely before serving. I like to have these cookies warm.
Source:- Masala Mornings