- Unakkalari (the one used for making Aravana payasam)– 2 cups
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar – 6 tsps.
- Instant yeast – 1/2 tsp. (level)
- Water – as needed
- Salt to taste
- Soak the unakkalari in water for 5-6 hours. Drain water from the rice.
- Grind the rice to a coarse powder.
- Take 2 tbsps of this coarse rice powder & mix it with 1/2 cup of water. Cook on medium low heat till you get a rice porridge/kappi. Let this cool down slightly.
- Now grind the rice adding grated coconut, sugar, the cooled paste & yeast to a very smooth paste adding enough water.
- Transfer the batter to a big vessel. Keep it aside for 5-6 hours.
- Add salt & add enough water to make the batter slightly thin. The batter should be thinner than dosa batter.
- Heat the appachatti on medium heat and pour a ladle full of batter, give it a swirl to get the characteristic lace. Close the lid and let it cook till the lace becomes light brown and the middle portion is cooked through.
- Serve hot with tea shop style egg roast.