- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Sugar – 1.5 cups
- Boiling water – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil / Ghee – 1/2 + 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Cashews – 2 tbsps. (coarsely chopped)
- Dried coconut – 1 tbsp.
- Grease a 8″ square cake tin with coconut oil & keep it aside.
- Combine the wheat flour with four cups of water to form a thin batter. Strain it to remove any lumps and reserve.
- In a wok, heat the sugar till it becomes honey coloured. Slowly add 1/2 cup of boiling water and stir well till all the caramel melts. While the syrup boils add the flour batter and stir continuously.
- When the mixture boils, add 1/2 cup of oil and continue stirring till the mixture starts to leave the sides of the wok.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of coconut oil and cook till the whole mixture comes together as a mass, when you stir. This process will take around 45 minutes.
- Add the cardamom powder, cashew and dry coconut and mix well . Transfer the halwa to greased cake tin and allow to cool. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Cut into pieces with a serrated knife greased with coconut oil.
Source:- Sweets and Snacks book by Parvathy Menon