- Chicken (boneless) – 500 grams
- Chopped onion – 3 medium
- Greenchilly – 1 number, slit
- Garlic – 5 big cloves, chopped
- Ginger – 1/2″ piece, very finely chopped
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Sliced Tomatoes – 1 big
- Red chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps. + 2 tbsps.; divided
To marinate the chicken
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1.25 tsps.
- Coarsely crushed pepper powder – 3/4 tsp. (level)
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp.
- Cut the chicken into 1″ pieces.Marinate the chicken pieces with 1.25 tsps. of salt, pepper powder, turmeric powder and 1 tsp of coconut oil for 1 hour. Heat 2 tbsps. of coconut oil in a broad non-stick pan for shallow frying the chicken pieces. Fry the chicken pieces for 5 minutes on each side. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in another pan and add the onions, ginger, garlic, greenchilly and curry leaves. Remove 2 tbsps. of this onion mixture & reserve.
- When brown add the red chilly powder and mix on low heat for a minute.
- Throw in tomato slices and continue sautéing till the oil starts to separate for about 15 minutes. Add garam masala powder, pepper powder, the reserved onion masala and mix.
- Add the chicken pieces along with any water that was left out by the meat while frying. Check for salt. Cover cook on very low heat for 15 minutes / till chicken is cooked.