- Unroasted Semolina – 1 cup
- Soaked Urad dal – 2 heaping tbsps. (measured after soaking)
- Tomato – 1 cup
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp.+as needed to make the dosas
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Ginger – 1/2″ piece
- Greenchillies – 2 numbers; finely chopped
- Water as needed
- Salt – to taste
For the topping:-
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp.
- Onion- 1 number, medium; finely chopped
- Curryleaves – a few, torn
- Salt to taste
- Soak the semolina in water for 1 hour.
- For the topping, heat 1 tsp. of coconut oil in a wok and add the finely chopped onions, and salt. Cook for 2 minutes on medium heat or till the onion turns translucent. Add the curryleaves and mix. Switch off heat.
- For the tomato masala paste, heat 1 tsp. of coconut oil in a pan & splutter the cumin seeds. Add the chopped ginger and greenchillies. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato and enough salt. Cook till the tomatoes turn soft for about 8 minutes. Grind this to a smooth paste in your grinder.
- To make the batter, grind 2 heaping tbsps. of soaked urad dal to a very smooth and fluffy paste. Mix together the urad dal paste, the soaked semolina, tomato paste and salt. Add enough water to make the batter of spreading consistency.
- Cover and keep this batter aside for 5-6 hours for fermentation.
- Heat a tawa till it becomes medium hot. Pour a ladleful of batter and spread it out thinly as you do for a ghee roast dosa. Quickly sprinkle the topping over the dosa. Drizzle oil along the sides. Cook till the bottom side of the dosa is nicely coloured. Flip the dosa and cook the other side as well.
- Repeat with other portions of the dosa batter and topping.
- Serve this piping hot with coconut chutney.