- Roasted ragi flour – 3/4 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup; grated
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – a pinch
- Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 1/4 cup, coarsely chopped
- Powdered cardamom – 1 tsp.
- Mix together the grated jaggery and water in a medium saucepan. Heat the mixture till it boils and the jaggery dissolves completely in water. Add salt & remove it from heat.
- Heat ghee in a wok and add the cashews. Fry till they are lightly browned. Stir in the ragi flour and fry for 7-8 minutes on low heat.
- Add the jaggery-water mixture & keep mixing on low heat till the mixture leaves the sides of the wok. The ghee will start to come out of the mixture at this stage. Add cardamom powder and transfer the halwa to a greased mould. Let cool completely.
- Cut into desired shapes and serve.
Note:- The original recipe calls for sugar and 2.5 cups of water.