- Wetted puttu podi – as needed
- Grated coconut – as needed
For the sweet vegetable layer:-
- Carrot – 1 small, grated
- Beetroot – 2 tbsps.; grated
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp.
For the chicken mixture:-
- Chicken – 500 grams, boneless cut into smaller cubes
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp.
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps. + as needed for shallow frying the chicken
- Onions – 2 numbers, medium, finely chopped
- Shallot – 1 cup; thinly sliced
- Curryleaves – a few
- Ginger – 1/2 tbsp ( ground to a paste)
- Garlic – 6 big cloves ( ground to a paste)
- Greenchilly –4 numbers, slit
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp. (level)
- Coriander powder – 1 heaping tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.+ 1/2 tsp.; divided
- Garam masala powder -3/4 tsp. + 1/4 tsp., divided
- Tomato – 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Cilantro – 1/2 cup
- Chopped mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- For the vegetable layer, mix together the grated carrot, beetroot and sugar. Keep aside.
- For the chicken masala mixture, cook the chicken pieces adding 11/4 tsp of salt, pepper powder, 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder and 2 tbsps. of water. Cover cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Carefully seperate the cooked chicken from the gravy & shred them. Shallow fry the shredded chicken pieces in 2 tbsps. of oil till lightly browned.Heat 3 tbsps of oil in a broad non-stick pan. Add the onions, curryleaves, shallots, greenchillies & cook till they turn golden brown in colour. Add the ginger-garlic paste & fry for 7 minutes.Add red chilly powder, 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder and coriander powder. Fry for 2 minutes on low heat. Add the tomato & mix. Cook for 10 minutes or till mushy. Add 3/4 tsp. of garam masala powder, the chicken pieces, the reserved chicken stock, cilantro and mint leaves. Cover cook on low heat for 5 minutes.Add 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder and remove from heat. When cool, pulse the mixture in a food processor coarsely. This mixture should be a little bit spicier and saltier than usual.
- To make the puttu, put little grated coconut in a puttu kutti. The next layer is the vegetable mixture. Top the vegetable layer with the wetted puttu podi, followed by the chicken masala. The last layer is the wetted puttu podi.
- Steam the puttu as usual.
- Serve hot.