For the rice
- Basmathi rice – 2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsps.
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tsp.
- Cloves – 3 numbers
- Green cardamom – 3 numbers
- Cinnamon – one 2″ stick
- Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp.
- Onion – 3 numbers, medium; thinly sliced
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp.
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp.
- Boiling chicken stock/water – 4 cups
- Salt as needed
- Sugar – a pinch
For the chicken tikka
- Chicken – 500 grams ( Boneless, skinless breast pieces), cubed
- Salt – 1.5 tsp / to taste
- Thick hung curd – 1/2 cup (prepared from 1 cup of curd)
- Ginger paste – 1 heaping tsp.
- Garlic paste – 1 heaping tsp.
- Kasoori methi – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 – 3/4 heaping tsp.
- Paprika powder – 1 heaping tsp.
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Cinnamon powder – 1/8 tsp.
- Black salt – 1/4 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp.
- Orange red food color – a pinch
- Butter – 40 grams, melted
- Cilantro – 1/2 cup; chopped
- Water – 2 tbsps.
- Soak the basmathi rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain all the water from the rice & keep aside.
- Heat oil & add the cumin seeds and the whole spices. Stir in the garlic paste, ginger paste, sliced onions and greenchilly. Cook till the onion turns golden brown in colour.
- Stir in the rice & fry for 3-4 minutes on high heat.
- Add boiling water / chicken stock & salt & bring to a second boil.
- Cover cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with all the ingredients written under “for chicken tikka”( except butter, cilantro and water) for atleast 2 hours in your refrigerator/ preferably overnight in your freezer. Thread the marinated chicken pieces on bamboo skewers and bake in a 210C preheated oven at 210C for 24 minutes. Bast the chicken pieces with the melted butter and any left over marinade in between the cooking time. Heat the butter in a frying pan & stir in the baked chicken pieces. Cook on medium low heat till the chicken pieces are nicely coloured. Give a dum of coal. Add 2 tbsps. of water and the cilantro & mix.
- Gently mix the chicken tikka with the cooked rice.
Source :- Annie’s kitchen, recipe slightly modified