For the green chicken
- Deep fry 2 medium onions (thinly sliced) till golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel and keep aside.
- Make a smooth paste of 1 cup of cilantro (loosely packed), 1/2 cup of mint leaves(loosely packed), , 4 greenchillies, 2 tbsps. of desiccated coconut powder and 12 blanched almonds adding 1-2 tbsps. of water. Make a marinade by combining the green paste with 170 grams of full fat curd (remove excess water by placing the curd in a strainer for 2 hours), 1 tbsp. of lime juice, 1.75 tsp. of salt, paste of 6 big garlic cloves, 1 tbsp. of ginger paste, 1 tsp. of pepper powder, 1 green cardamom, 1 clove, 1″ cinnamon stick, 1/2 tsp. of garam masala powder, half of the fried onions (crush with hands before adding) and 3 tbsps. of oil (use the oil used for frying the onions).
- Cut 500 grams of chicken breasts into small cubes. Marinate with the prepared green masala marinade for 1-2 hours.
- Heat 3 tbsps. of oil in a broad non-stick pan & add the marinated chicken pieces along with the marinade and bring to a boil on high heat. Cover cook on low heat for 35 minutes. There will be some thick gravy left.
For the fragrant rice
- Soak 2 cups of basmathi rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain out all the water from the rice.
- Heat ghee and add 2 green cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1″ cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. of shahijeerah and 1 bayleaf. When fragrant add the rice and fry till opaque.
- Add 4 cups of boiling water and 2 tsps. of salt. Bring to a second boil, lower heat and cover cook for 10 minutes or till the rice is soft and all the water is absorbed. Let it stand undisturbed for 10 more mins.
- Add the reserved fried onions & mix.
For the layering and dum
- Mix a pinch of saffron, 1/4 tsp. of garam masala powder and 1 tbsp. of rose- water with 2 tbsps of warm milk and keep aside.
- Take a dum pot and smear it with ghee, add half the cooked rice. Sprinkle a little rose–saffron milk on the rice. Spread the chicken pieces and green gravy over the rice, followed by the remaining rice. Cover with a foil.
- Bake a 180C preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Keep it undisturbed for 30 minutes.