- Mini sago pearls – 1/4 cup
- Broken wheat/ Gothambu Nurukku – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Water – 1.5 cups + 1 cup; divided
- Brown beaten rice /Matta Aval – 1/4 cup
- Well ripen Banana – 2 numbers (Chiquita/Robusta)
- Grated jaggery – 1 cup or as per taste
- Thick coconut milk – 2 cups/ use 5 heaped tbsps. of coconut milk powder +2 cups of lukewarm water
- Powdered cardamom – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Dry ginger powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cashews – 2 tbsp
- Coconut cuts – 2 tbsps.
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Soak the sago pearls in water for 4 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Mix together the coconut milk, dry ginger, cumin and cardamom powders.
- Wash the broken wheat several times & cook it with salt & 1.5 cup of water in your pressure cooker. Simmer for 30 minutes after the first whistle.
- Open the cooker when the pressure completely subsides & add sago, beaten rice + 1 cup of water. Cover cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Add the mashed banana and cook further for 5 minutes or till the sago pearls are cooked well.
- Stir in the grated jaggery and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Pour the thick coconut milk & bring to a slow boil.
- Heat the ghee & toast the cashews and coconut cuts till golden brown. Toast the raisins till they turn plump. Pour this over the payasam.
Source:- Toshma Biju Varghese