For the rice:-
- Basmathi Rice – 1.5 cup
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Green cardamom – 2 numbers
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup; chopped + 1/4 cup; divided
- Boiling water – 3 cups
- Salt -1.5 tsp.
- Onion – 1 cup; thinly sliced and deep fried till golden brown and crisp
For the corn-mushroom masala
- Oil – 2 tbsps.
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Fresh mushroom – 1 cup; thinly sliced
- Baby corn – 1 cup; thinly sliced at an angle
- Onion – 1.5 cups; finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 big cloves, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Sweet paprika powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 heaping tsp.
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Tomato – 1 cup; pureed in the mixer
- Sweet corn kernels – 1 cup; boiled
- Fresh cream – 3 tbsps.
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Cilantro – 2 tbsps.
- Wash the rice several times under running water & soak it in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water completely from the rice.
- Heat ghee in a pan & add the cardamom. When you get an aroma of the spice add the cilantro and rice & fry till the rice turns opaque. Pour 3 cups of boiling water & add 1.5 tsps. of salt. Cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes. Keep the rice undisturbed for 10 minutes more. Add the deep-fried onions & 1/4 cup of cilantro and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil and 1 tsp. of ghee in a pan & fry the mushrooms and baby corns separately (adding salt) till soft. Keep aside. To the same pan, add 1 more tbsp. of oil and stir in the finely chopped onions & the chopped garlic. Cook till the onions turn golden brown in colour. Add coriander, turmeric, cumin and red chilly powders and fry for a minute on low heat. Add the tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes or till the oil starts to separate. Add the mushroom, baby corn, sweet corn, 2 tbsps. of water and mix. Add more salt if needed. Cover cook on low heat for 5 minutes or till the masala turns dry. Add the garam masala powder, cilantro, fresh cream and remove from heat.
- Spread the corn masala in an oven proof dish. Spread the cooked rice over it.Cover the dish with an Al foil & bake the biriyani at 180C for 15 minutes.