- Chicken (Boneless) – 500 grams
- Shallots/Kunjulli – 10 numbers; medium size
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 heaping tsp. or as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Pepper powder – 1/2 heaping tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1.25 tsp.
- Garlic – 5 big cloves + 3 big cloves; divided
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp.
- Onion – 2 numbers; medium; thinly sliced
- Curryleaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut cuts/thengakothu – 2 tbsps.
- Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup (freshly extracted)
- Cut the chicken into very small cubes.
- Grind together the shallots, red chilli, turmeric, pepper, garam masala powders, salt & 5 big garlic cloves to a smooth paste adding 1-2 tbsps. of water.
- Cover and cook the chicken adding this paste and the thick coconut milk.
- After 25 minutes of cooking the chicken on very low heat open the lid and cook further for 1 hour on low heat till the chicken pieces starts to turn brown in colour.
- In a wok, heat 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and add the curryleaves, sliced onions, 3 big garlic cloves & coconut cuts. Fry till the onions turn golden brown in colour. Add the chicken pieces & mix well. Cook further for 5 more minutes. You can sprinkle little pepper powder in the end if needed.