- King prawns/ naran chemmeen – 230 grams (measured after cleaning)
- Ginger – 1″ piece (pounded)
- Shallots – 12 numbers
- Greenchilly ( I used Bird’s eye chilly) – 4-5 numbers or as per taste
- Garlic – 3 big cloves
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Garam masala powder -3/4 tsp.
- Curryleaves – a few
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp. + as needed for frying the vadas
- Salt to taste or 1.5 to 2 tsps.
- Grind together the prawns and salt to a smooth paste using a mixer/grinder.
- Add the pounded ginger, greenchilly, the garlic cloves, curryleaves to the prawns paste & pulse.
- Finally add the turmeric powder, grated coconut, 1 tsp. of coconut oil and garam masala powder & pulse again to get a coarse paste.
- Check for salt & add more if needed.
- Make lime sized balls from the mixture & flatten them. Deep fry the vadas in hot oil on medium low heat till golden brown in colour. You could even shallow fry these vadas.