This recipe makes 5 egg wraps.
For the egg masala mixture:-
- Egg – 5 numbers; hardboiled and peeled
- Salt – to taste
- Sunflower oil – 2 tbsps.
- Onions – 3 numbers, medium, finely chopped
- Curryleaves – a few
- Ginger – 1/2 tbsp ( finely chopped)
- Garlic – 6 big cloves ( finely chopped)
- Greenchilly –2 numbers, slit ( I used Kanthari mulaku)
- Sweet paprika powder – 1 tsp. (level)
- Coriander powder – 2 heaping tsps.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Garam masala powder -3/4 tsp. + 1/4 tsp., divided
- Tomato – 3/4 cup, finely chopped
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
For the pancakes:-
- Maida – 3/4 cup
- Cornstarch – 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Water – 1 cup
- Maida- 2 tbsps.
- Water – 1.5- 2tbsps.
- Egg – 1 number; beaten
- Bread crumbs – as needed
- Oil for deep-frying the wraps
- For the egg masala mixture, heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a broad non-stick pan. Add the chopped onions, curryleaves, greenchillies, ginger and garlic & cook till they turn golden brown in colour. Add paprika powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Fry for 2 minutes on low heat. Add the tomato, 1/2 cup of water & mix. Cook for 15 minutes or till mushy. Add 3/4 tsp. of garam masala powder, pepper powder and the boiled eggs. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes or till the masala turns thick and starts coating the eggs. Add 1/4 tsp. of garam masala powder and mix.
- Combine the maida, cornflour, salt and water to make the pancake batter. Make 5 thin dosas/pancakes with this batter. Cook both the sides of all the pancakes and keep them aside.
- Make a flour paste by mixing 2 tbsps. of maida with 1.5-2tbsps. of water.
- Take a pancake and put one egg along with the masala in the center of the pancake. Cut this egg into 2 and place a little masala over each egg half. Bring together the four ends of the pancake to cover the egg filling to make a wrap. Use the flour paste to seal the ends. Repeat with remaining portions of the egg masala filling and pancakes.
- Dip each wrap in beaten egg, roll in bread crumbs and deep fry in hot oil on medium high heat till browned.
- Serve warm.