For 750-1000 grams of mackerel
- Squeeze the juice of one lime & wash the fish pieces with this juice & water to remove any unwanted small. Keep aside.
- Extract 3/4 cup of thick coconut milk and 1.5 cups of thin coconut milk from 1.25 cups of grated coconut.
- Soak 2 small pieces of kokum in 1/4 cup of hot water.
- Heat 2 tbsps. of coconut oil in a meenchatti & add 4 big garlic cloves chopped, 1 cup of thinly sliced shallots, 4 slit greenchillies, 1 tbsp. of julienned ginger & a sprig of curry leaf. Saute till the shallots turn brown in colour. Add 1 tsp. of turmeric powder, 3/4 heaping tbsp. of kashmiri chilly powder and 3/4 heaping tbsp. of red chilly powder & fry on low heat for 30 seconds.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of chopped tomatoes and 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 15 minutes till the tomato turns mushy and the oil starts to separate from the masala.
- Add the thin coconut milk, 2 tsps. of salt & kokum along with the water it was soaked in; bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
- Carefully slide in the fish pieces & cook for 25 minutes on medium-low heat; keep the meenchatti partially covered.
- Add the thick coconut milk and remove from heat.
- Finally add a few curry leaves. Keep this curry covered for 2 hours for the flavours to interact.