Uncooked Pasta – 1.5 cups
For the Arabiatta sauce:-
- Oil – 3 tbsps.
- Garlic – 1 tbsp.; finely chopped
- Onion – 1/2 cup; finely chopped
- Tomato puree – 1 cup
- Chicken stock – 1/2 cup
- Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp.
- Sugar – 2 tbsps.
- Chicken powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Fresh basil leaves – 1/4 cup; chopped
- White vinegar – 2 tbsps.
- Dried parsley – 1/4 tsp.
For the chicken:-
- Chicken breast – 250 grams; julienned
- Salt – 3/4 tsp.- 1 tsp.
- Pepper powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Paprika powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp.
- Olive oil – 1 tsp. + 2 tbsps. for pan frying the marinated chicken
For the creamy pasta sauce:-
- Butter –25 grams.
- Chicken stock/water – 1/4 cup
- Cooking cream – 1 cup
- Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Parmesan cheese – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Cream cheese – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread – 2 slices; churned in the mixer to get fresh bread crumbs ( I used brown bread)
- Grated cheddar cheese – 1/4 cup
- Parmesan cheese – 2 heaping tbsps.; grated
- Egg – 1 small; beaten with a pinch of salt & pepper powder
- Cook the pasta in boiling water adding enough salt till al Dante for about 8-10 minutes. Drain all the water from the pasta & keep aside.
- For the Arabiatta sauce,heat olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and chopped onion. Cook till the onion turns pink. Switch off heat and add the tomato puree, chicken stock, sugar, chicken powder, red chilly flakes, fresh basil leaves, salt & parsley. Cook till the mixture turns thick. Switch off heat and add the vinegar.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, pepper powder, garlic powder, paprika powder, 1 tsp. of olive oil and lime juice. Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a frying shallow fry the chicken pieces till done.
- For the creamy pasta sauce, heat butter in a pan and add the stock, cream, salt, pepper powder , parmesan cheese, cream cheese, garlic powder and oregano. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the cooked pasta and shallow fried chicken to the cream sauce & mix. Check for salt and add more if needed. The mixture would be runny initially as we are not adding any flour. But after 30 minutes of resting, all the liquid will be absorbed by the pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a greased casserole dish, spread the cooked pasta-chicken mixture. Spread the Arabiatta sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the Arabiatta sauce followed by the parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese and beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with garlic bread.
Note :- I didn’t make the Arabiatta sauce. I used half a jar of readymade Arabiatta sauce with a hint of chilly (Delicio Brand) instead.
Source:-Masala mornings by Shireen Anwar