For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Instant yeast – 1 level tsp.
- Salt – 3/4 tsp.
- Egg – 1 medium
- Sugar – 1 tbsp.
- Philadelphia cream cheese spread – 200 grams or 1 cup
- Lukewarm water – as needed
- Oil for deep- frying
For the sugar syrup:-
- Sugar – 11/2cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Saffron strands – 1/4 tsp.
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, yeast and cream cheese. Add the egg & lukewarm water to make a really thick batter of dropping consistency (similar to undampori batter).
- Keep this batter covered in a warm place for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying. When it becomes really hot, lower heat to minimum and drop a teaspoonful of batter into the hot oil. The fritters would become almost double in size on frying. Fry the fritters on a medium heat till browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and let them cool down to room temperature.
- For the syrup, combine sugar & water. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring till the sugar dissolves completely. Add the powdered cardamom, saffron strands & cook till 2 string consistency is attained ( if you take a little syrup in between your fingers & move them apart 2 strings/ threads will be formed and you could make a soft ball). Switch off heat. Work fast at this point. Put the fritters into the syrup & mix well till coated.
- Garnish with silver warq and nuts.
- You could cut each fritter into half and fill them with jam or nutella.
SOURCE:- MASALA MORNINGS BY SHIREEN ANWAR