For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Instant yeast – 1 heaping tsp.
- Salt – 3/4 tsp.
- Egg – 1 medium
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp.
- Thick coconut milk – 3/4 cup ( I used freshly extracted coconut milk)
- Oil- 1 tbsp.+ for deep- frying
For the sugar syrup:-
- Sugar – 11/4 cup
- Water – 1/2cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mix together the flour, salt, cardamom powder, yeast, cardamom powder, oil & baking powder. Add the egg & thick coconut milk to make a soft dough. Punch down the dough several times and keep covered in a warm place for 30 minutes to 1 hour till double in volume.
- Divide this dough into 6 equal parts. Dust each ball with flour from both sides & roll out as thin as possible with your rolling pin. Run a sharp knife diagonally to produce diamond shapes. ( or you could use a pizza cutter instead).
- Heat the oil. When it becomes medium hot fry the diamond cuts. They will rise & beautifully puff up. Fry till they turn a light golden brown & crisp. Drain on paper towels & let cool.
- For the syrup, combine sugar & water. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring till the sugar dissolves. Add the powdered cardamom & cook till 2 string consistency is attained ( if you take a little syrup in between your fingers & move them apart a 2 strings/ threads will be formed and you could make a soft ball). Switch off heat. Work fast at this point. Put the diamonds into the syrup & mix well till coated. Transfer to a greased Al foil & let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
SOURCE:- MASALA MORNINGS BY SHIREEN ANWAR