For the rice:-
- Basmathi Rice – 2.5 cups or 500 grams
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Cardamom – 3 numbers
- Boiling chicken stock– 5 cups
- Salt – to taste or around 2.75 tsps.
For the chicken seekh kabab:-
- Chicken – 500 grams, boneless ( I used breasts)
- Salt – 1.5 tsps.
- Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp. ( I used 1/2 tsp. of red chilly powder and 1/2 tsp. of paprika powder instead)
- Crushed coriander seeds – 1 tsp.
- Cilantro – 2 tbsps.; chopped
- Mint – 1 tbsp.; chopped
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp.
- Garlic – 3 big cloves (pasted)
- Ginger – 1 tsp. (pasted)
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers (pasted)
- Onion – 1/4 cup; pasted
- Bread slice – 1 number
- Cornflour – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Oil – 1/4 cup or as needed to shallow fry
For the biriyani masala :-
- Oil – 2 tbsps.
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
- Greenchilly – 2 tbsps; pasted
- Onion – 2 cups; finely chopped
- Green chilly garlic sauce – 1 tbsp.
- Thick curd – 1 cup; whisked
- Carrot – 1 medium; chopped
- Capsicum (green) -1 medium; chopped
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
For the cream mixture:-
- Mayonnaise – 6 tbsps.
- Cream cheese – 4 tbsps.
- Cooking cream – 1 cup or 200 grams
- Milk – 2 tbsps.
- Garam masala powder – a pinch
- Rose water – 1 tsp.
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup; chopped
- Mint leaves – 2 tbsps; chopped
- Fried onions – 1/2 cup
Let’s make the rice first.
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain out all the water from the rice & keep the it aside.
- Heat oil in a broad non-stick pan and stir in the cardamom.
- Add the rice and fry on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the boiling chicken stock + salt & cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
Let’s prepare the seekh kabab next:-
- Process all the ingredients written under ” for the seekh kabab” (except oil) in a food processor.
- Make small kababs from the mixture and shallow fry in hot oil on medium heat till browned from both the sides. Keep aside.
Let’s prepare the biriyani masala next :-
- Heat 2 tbsps. of oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the ginger- garlic- greenchilly paste. Cook for a minute and stir in the chopped onions and saute’ them till golden brown in colour.
- Add green chilly garlic sauce and cook for a minute on low heat. Stir in the whisked curd, salt, pepper powder and cook for 5 minutes on high heat. Add the carrots and capsicum and cook further till the oil starts to separate. Switch off heat. Add the fried kababs and mix.
Then prepare the creamy mixture:-
Combine all the ingredients written under “for the cream mixture”.
Finally, layering and dum:-
- Mix together the milk, garam masala powder and rose- water.
- Pour the cream mixture over the kabab-biriyani masala mixture.
- Top it with the cooked rice. Sprinkle the flavoured milk . Garnish with mint, cilantro and fried onions.
- Cook on medium high heat for 5 minutes and simmer for 15 minutes. Mix the rice with the kababs, masala and the cream mixture before serving.
SOURCE:- MASALA MORNINGS