This recipe makes 18 cupcakes.
- All purpose flour – 11/3 cup
- Baking powder – 1.5 tsp.
- Salt – a generous pinch
- Butter – 150 grams, softened
- Castor sugar – 1 cup
- Eggs – 3 big
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Whole milk – 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps.;divided
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 2 tbsps. (level)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the all purpose flour, salt and baking powder.
- Beat together the butter & castor sugar with your hand mixer for 10 minutes or till creamy and fluffy. Beat in the 3 eggs one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour mixture in 2 additions alternated with 1/4 cup of milk.
- Divide the batter in half.
- Make a paste with cocoa powder and 2 tbsps. of milk. Add one half of the batter to this cocoa paste and mix.
- Place cupcake liners in the cupcake pan. Fill the liners with 1 tbsp. of white batter. Place 1 tbsp. of chocolate batter over the white batter and swirl with a tooth pick to give a marble effect.
- Bake at 180C for 15 minutes. Never over bake these cupcakes.