This recipe will yield 8 donuts.
For the dough:-
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups/ 150 grams
- Butter – 40 grams (melted)
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Instant yeast –3/4 tsp. (level)
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Grated nutmeg – 1/4 tsp.
- Egg – half a medium
- Buttermilk- 1/2 cup (Add 1 tbsp. of white vinegar to 1/2 cup of lukewarm milk & keep it aside for 1-2 hours)
For the final stage:-
- Butter – 30 grams; melted
- Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
- Powdered cinnamon – 1 tsp.
- Mix together the melted butter, sugar and buttermilk till the sugar dissolves completely. Stir in the egg and yeast. Add the salt, grated nutmeg and flour and mix to get a smooth, slightly sticky dough.
- Knead the dough for a good 15 minutes, also keep banging the dough as you knead. The dough should be slightly sticky. Cover with a damp cloth & keep undisturbed for 2-3 hours in a warm place/ till the dough doubles in volume.
- Punch down the risen dough and roll into a rectangle of 1/4″ thickness using a rolling-pin.
- Cut out donuts using a donut cutter.
- Place the donuts on a dusted tray & cover them with cling film. Keep aside for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Bake the donuts in a 180C preheated oven for 12-13 minutes.Do not overbake.
- Mix the sugar and powdered cinnamon and keep this mixture aside.
- Dip the baked donuts in melted butter and roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve these donuts warm.