- Kaima Rice – 2.5 cups
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Bayleaf – 2 numbers
- Cloves – 3 numbers
- Boiling water – slightly less than 5 cups
- Onion – 1 cup; thinly sliced and fried till golden brown and crisp
For the vegetable masala:-
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Onion – 4 medium, thinly sliced
- Greenchilly – 2 numbers
- Garlic – 4 big cloves; minced
- Ginger paste– 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Tomato – 3/4 cup, chopped
- Curd – 1 cup; whisked
- Chicken stock cube – 1 number;10 grams
- Special masala powder
- Cauliflower florets- 1.5 cups
- Brinjal – 1 cup; cut into bite size cubes
- Potato – 1 cup; cut into bite size cubes
For the special masala powder:-
- Fennel seeds – 1 heaping tbsp.
- Black cardamom – 1 number
- Green cardamom – 5 numbers
- Mace – 1/4th of a petal
- Grated nutmeg – 1/4 tsp.
Grind all these ingredients to a fine powder and use it for preparing the vegetable masala.
For the layering:-
- Milk – 2 tbsps.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Rose water – 1 tsp.
Let’s prepare the rice first:-
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain out all the water from the rice & keep the rice aside.
- Heat the ghee & add the cloves and bayleaves. Stir in the rice and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add boiling water & 2.5 tsps. of salt & cover cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes. Add the deep fried onions and mix. Keep this cooked rice aside.
Next let’s prepare the vegetable masala:-
- Marinate the cauliflower florets, potato cubes and eggplant pieces with salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and pepper powder for 30 minutes. Heat oil and deep fry the veggies separately till done. Drain on papaer towels and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a broad non-stick pan and throw in the onions, garlic, ginger paste & greenchilly. Cook till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the coriander powder & cook for a minute on low heat.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes & add salt to taste. Cook for 15-20 minutes adding water as & when required.
- Stir in the curd and cook on medium heat till all the water from the curd has evaporated.
- Add the chiken stock cube and mix.
- Stir in all the fried veggies and carefully combine with the masala.
- Add the special masala powder & remove from heat. This vegetable masala will be on the drier side.
Finally let’s do the layering of the rice :-
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix turmeric powder and rose water to the milk.
- Take an oven proof dish and spread half of the cooked rice in it. Sprinkle a little rose flvoured milk on the rice. Spread the vegetable masala over the rice, followed by the remaining rice. Pour the remaining milk over the rice.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.