- Basmathi Rice – 1.5 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1.5 tsps.
- Water – 3 cups
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Cardamom – 2 numbers
- Clove – 2 numbers
For the vegetable curry:-
- Carrot – 1 cup; cut into small cubes
- Cauliflower florets – 2 cups
- Green peas – 1 cup
- Butter – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Onion – 3 medium; finely chopped
- Garlic – 3 big cloves;minced
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp. (heaping)
- Tomato – 3/4 cup; finely chopped
- Tomato paste – 3 tbsps. ( I used Saudia brand)
- Chicken stock cube – 1 number/10 grams
- Capsicum – 3/4 cup; cut into cubes( I used green capsicum)
- Potato – 2 numbers; medium; cut into cubes
- Sugar – a pinch
- Cilantro – 1/4 cup;chopped
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp.
For the tempering:-
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Dry red chillies – 2 numbers;split
- Curryleaves – a few
- Greenchilly – 2-3 numbers;slit
- Soak the basmathi rice in water for 30 minutes and drain. Heat 1 tbsp. of ghee and add the cloves and cardamom.Add the rice and saute’ the rice with turmeric powder till opaque. Boil 3 cups of water. Pour the boiling water into the rice and add 1.5 tsps. salt and bring the mixture to a second boil. Cover cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Keep covered for another 10 minutes.
- For the curry, cook the cauliflower, carrots and peas adding 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of turmeric powder. Cover cook for 10 minutes on medium low heat or till the veggies are 3/4th done.
- Marinate the potato cubes with salt, red chilly powder and pepper powder and deep fry till golden brown in colour.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil and 1 tbsp. of butter in a broad non-stick pan. Add the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook till they turn golden brown in colour. Add the chilly powder and fry for a minute on low heat. Add the tomato and cook for 15 minutes or till mushy. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes. Add the blanched vegetables along with any water left after cooking. Add the capsicum cubes, chicken stock cube and cilantro and cover cook for 7 minutes. Add the fried potatoes, garam masala powder, water as needed and sugar. Mix gently and remove from heat.
- In a wok, heat 1 tbsp. of oil and add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop. Stir in the dry red chillies, greenchillies, curry leaves and pour this over the curry.
- Serve the curry along with the rice.