- Plain flour –1 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp. + 1/2 tsp.;divided
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – 1/4 tsp.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 2 tbsps.
- Butter – 100 grams; softened
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 1 number, medium
- Caster sugar – 1 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – 3/4 cup
For the frosting:-
- Butter – 50 grams
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1 tbsp.
- Cream – 1.5 tbsp.
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Icing sugar – 1/2 cup + 2 level tbsps. or 125 grams
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the plain flour, salt, baking powder & 1/2 tsp. of baking soda. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp. of plain flour to the chocolate chips. Toss and keep aside.
- Combine the cocoa powder, water and butter in a medium sauce pan and heat till the butter melts completely. Keep aside to cool. Add the egg and essence to the cooled mixture and beat with a handmixer. Beat in the caster sugar. Fold in the sifted flour mixture and mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the reserved 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to the buttermilk and mix. Quickly add this to the cake batter and mix gently but thoroughly.
- Transfer the cake batter to a prepared 8″ round cake tin.
- Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the cake is done, prepare the frosting. Combine the butter, cream and cocoa powder in a medium sauce pan and heat till the butter melts completely. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the icing sugar, salt and essence. Beat well with a hand mixer till fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over the hot cake.
Source:- Food diaries by Zarnak Sidhwa