For the Appams:-
- Pachari/ White Rice – 1 cup
- Cooked Rosematta rice – 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp
- Oil as needed to cook the appam
For the stuffing:-
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Spring onion whites – 2 tbsps.
- Celery – 1 tbsp; chopped
- Cabbage – 1.5 cups; shredded
- Coloured capsicum – 3/4 cup; julienned
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spring onion greens – 1/4 cup
- Soak the white rice for 4 hours. Drain the water completely from the rice & grind it along with grated coconut, sugar, salt & cooked rice adding enough water; the batter should be thinner than Dosa batter. You should make real thin appams.
- For the stuffing, heat oil in a broad non-stick pan. Add the spring onion whites, celery, cabbage and capsicum and fry on medium high heat for about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, pepper powder, salt and spring onion greens and mix. switch off heat.
- Heat a pan & smear it generously with oil. Pour a ladleful of batter ( the batter will spread into a circle by itself ). Cover & cook the appam for 1-2 minutes on low heat. Now remove the cover & flip the appam; cook the otherside uncovered on medium heat till done. Put the stuffing in a row and roll the appam tightly. Now make appam roll ups with the remaining batter and stuffing.