For the dough
- All purpose flour – 2.75 cups
- Instant yeast – 2.5 level tsps.
- Castor sugar – 1/4 cup
- Egg – 1.5, medium
- Sunflower oil – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1 .5 tsps.
- Full cream milk powder – 2 heaping tbsps.
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Lukewarm water – as needed
For the filling:-
- Granulated white sugar – 1 cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tbsp.
- Softened butter – 40 grams
- Mix together the plain flour, essence, instant yeast, milk powder, egg, sugar, salt and oil. Add lukewarm water to make a slightly sticky dough. Knead the dough really well for at least 10 minutes and keep punching down the dough as you knead it. Apply little oil all over the dough. Keep the dough covered in a warm place for 1 hour/ till double in volume.
- While the dough rises, mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Set aside.
- Punch down the risen dough and roll it to a rectangle of 1/4″ thickness using a rolling-pin.
- Spread butter over the rolled out dough. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture over the butter.
- Slice the dough vertically, into six equal-sized strips. Stack the strips on top of one another and slice the stack into six equal slices once again. You’ll have six stacks of six squares. Layer the dough squares in a 2 lb. loaf pan like a flip-book. Cover the pan and keep in a warm place for 45 minutes or until almost doubled in size. While the dough is resting, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bake the bread at 180C for 20 minutes. Spray little water over the bread and bake further for 10 minutes.
- Rest the bread for 15 minutes before serving.