- Chana dal – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp.
- Onion – 1 medium; finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Grated coconut – 1 cup; tightly packed
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Greenchilly – 3 numbers
- Spinach/paalak – 6 cups (packed); finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cook the chana dal adding 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1 tsp. of coconut oil and 11/4 cup of water in a pressure cooker. Simmer for 10 minutes after the first whistle. Open the cooker once the pressures subside. Cook till the dal is completely dry. Keep aside.
- Pound together the grated coconut, cumin seeds and greenchillies and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and splutter the mustard seeds. Add the chopped onions and cook till golden brown in colour. Stir in the turmeric powder and fry on low heat for a minute.
- Add the pounded coconut mixture and fry on medium low heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped spinach, salt and the cooked chana dal. Fry on medium high heat till completely dry for about 7-10 minutes. Do not cover and cook this thoran.
- Serve hot with rice/roti.