For the fragrant rice
- Basmathi Rice–1.5 cups
- Bayleaf – 1
- Mace – 1/4th of a petal
- Shahijeerah – 1/2 tsp.
- Cinnamon – 1” piece
- Cloves – 3 no.s
- Cardamom – 3 no.s
- Ghee –2 tbsps
- Carrot – 1/2 a medium; finely chopped
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 .5 tsps.
- Deep fried onions – 1/2 cup (measured after frying)
- Cashews – 2 tbsps, fried till golden brown
- Raisins – 1 tbsp, fried till plump
For the soy chunks masala
- Soychunks – 1 cup
- Ghee –1 tsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Green Chillies – 1 number
- Garlic –5 big cloves
- Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Thinly Sliced Onion- 2 numbers; medium
- Curry leaves -a few (torn with hand)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp. (heaped)
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 heaping tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Sliced Tomato – 1 number, sliced
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Curd – 1/2 cup, whisked
- Cashews – 25 grams, soaked in water and ground to a paste
- Salt – as reqd
For the Soy chunks masala
- Soak the soy chunks in water for 20 minutes. Cook the soy chunks adding 1 cup of water, 1 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of turmeric powder in a pressure cooker. Cook for 2 whistles on high heat. Open the cooker when the pressures subside. Transfer the cooked soy chunks to cold water and squeeze them well. Keep aside.
- Pound the ginger, garlic and greenchilly together to a paste.
- Heat ghee + 1 tbsp of the oil . Stir in the pounded ginger, garlic and greenchilly mixture and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Add the sliced onions and cook till they turn golden brown in colour. Add coriander powder, red chilli & turmeric powders and sauté for a minute and then add the chopped tomato. Stir fry for 15-20 minutes or till oil starts to separate.
- Stir in the curd and cook till dry.
- Add the cooked soy chunks, mint leaves, cilantro, garam masala powder and 1 cup of water.
- Cover cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes. Add the cashew paste and cook till almost dry. Switch off heat.
For the fragrant rice
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain out all the water from the rice.
- Heat ghee and add all the spices. When fragrant add the rice, carrot and fry till the rice turns opaque.
- Mix together the thick coconut milk and water. Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Add the boiling mixture and 1.5 tsps. of salt to the rice. Bring to a second boil, lower heat and cover cook till the rice is soft and all the water is absorbed. Let it stand undisturbed for 10 more mins.
- Add the fried onions, cashews & raisins & mix.
For the layering and dum
- Take a big vessel and smear it with ghee, add half the cooked rice . Spread the soy chunks masala over the rice, followed by the remaining rice.
- Heat a dosa pan till very hot.Place the tightly closed biriyani vessel on it. Place a pan full of boiling water on the biriyani vessel’s lid. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to sim and cook further for 15 minutes. or bake in a 180C preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Keep it undisturbed for 30 minutes. Mix the rice carefully with the masala.
- Serve with raitha and pickle
Source:- Magic Oven