For the cake batter :-
- Plain flour –1.25 cups
- Baking powder – 2 tsps.
- Salt – a pinch
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 4 heaping tbsps.
- Boiling water – 6 tbsps.
- Butter – 200 grams; softened
- Brown sugar – 1 cup (packed)
- Eggs – 4 numbers, large
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsps.
For the mousse:-
- Dark chocolate – 150 grams
- Eggs – 3 numbers; whites and yolks separated
- Softened butter – 90 grams
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder.
- Beat together the softened butter and sugar for 10 minutes with a hand mixer till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the 4 eggs, one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the dry flour mixture alternated with the milk.
- Transfer this mixture to a prepared cake tin.
- Bake at 180C for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the chocolate mousse, melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler. Allow it to cool completely. Beat in the 3 egg yolks, one by one. Stir in the butter and vanilla essence. Beat well till the mixture is creamy and fluffy. Separately beat the 3 egg whites till they hold peaks. Fold in the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread the chocolate mousse over the cake.