- Prawns – 400 grams; shelled, deveined and cut into smaller pieces
- Water – 1 cup
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 heaping tsp.
- Pepper powder – 1 heaping tsp.
- Garlic – 4 big cloves; pounded
- Ginger – 1/4″ piece; pounded
- Salt – to taste
- Tomato – 1 big; finely chopped
- Oil– 4 tbsps.
- Dry red chilly – 1/4 cup; dessed and cut into small pieces
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Onion – 2 numbers; medium, finely chopped
- White vinegar – 3 tbsps.
- Cook the prawns in 1 cup of water adding kashmiri chilly powder, pepper powder, garlic, ginger, 1.5 tsps. of salt and tomato. Bring the mixture to a boil and cover cook on low heat for 30 minutes or till the prawns are well coated with the masala and all the water has evaporated.
- Heat 4 tbsps. of oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the dry red chilly pieces. Fry and remove them from the oil.
- To the same oil, add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop. Stir in the chopped onions & cook till they turn golden brown in colour. Stir in the prawns that are well coated with the tomato masala & fry for 7-10 minutes. Add the white vinegar and mix.
- Finally add the fried dry red chillies and mix.
- Serve hot with rice.