For the cake batter
- Plain flour –1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – 125 grams; softened
- Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps.
- Eggs – 2 numbers, large
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp.
- Vanilla custard
For the vanilla custard:-
- Vanilla flavoured custard powder – 1/2 heaping tbsp.
- Whole milk – 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps.
- Sugar – 3/4 level tbsp.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix the custard powder with 2 tbsps. of milk and set aside. Heat 1/2 cup of milk and bring it to a scalding point. Stir in the sugar and custard- milk mixture. Cook on a low heat till the custard thickens. Let this custard cool down completely to room temperature.
- Sift together the plain flour, salt & baking powder.
- Beat together the softened butter and powdered sugar for 10 minutes with a hand mixer till light and fluffy.
- Beat in the 2 eggs, one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Fold in the dry flour mixture alternated with the cooled custard.
- Transfer this mixture to a loaf cake tin.
- Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes.