- Prawns – 500 grams; shelled and deveined
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 heaping tsp.
- Pepper powder – 1/4 heaping tsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 heaping tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Lime juice – 1.5 tbsps.
- Coconut oil– 1 tbsp. + 1 tbsp; divided
- Onion – 2 numbers; medium, thinly sliced
- Garlic – 5 big cloves; chopped
- Ginger – 1/4″ piece; pounded
- Greenchilly – 1 number; slit
- Curry leaves – a few
- Salt – to taste
- Tomato – 1/2 cup; finely chopped
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp.
- Marinate the prawns with 1 tsp. of salt, red chilly powder, kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and lime juice for 2 hours.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a broad non-stick pan and stir in the chopped garlic and pounded ginger. Cook till raw smell disappears . Add the greenchilly, curry leaves and chopped onions & cook till they just start to turn golden brown in colour. Make sure that you do not brown the onions.S tir in the tomato and cook till mushy and oil starts to separate. Add enough salt to the masala. Stir in the marinated prawns and fry for a minute on high heat.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and cook for 5 minutes more or till the prawns are well coated with the masala. Add the garam masala powder, 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and mix.
- Serve hot with rice.
Note:- 1.You can also add coconut cuts to the above recipe if you wish.