For the fragrant rice
- Jeerakasala/ Kaima Rice–1.5 cups
- Shahijeerah – 1/2 tsp.
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 .5 tsps.
- Fried onions – 1/4 cup
For the prawns masala
- Prawn-fry – prepared by using 500 grams of prawns by following the recipe in the link. Use 1/4 c of sunflower oil instead of coconut oil for frying the prawns. You only need to marinate and fry the prawns. There is no need to prepare the onion mixture as in the link.
- Coconut cuts /Thengakothu- 2 tbsps. (optional)
- Thinly Sliced Onion- 2 numbers; medium
- Shallots – 1/2 cup; thinly sliced
- Green Chillies – 1 number; slit
- Garlic –4 big cloves
- Ginger – 1 tsp.
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp. (heaped)
- Sliced Tomato – 3/4 cup
- Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp.
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Thick coconut milk (freshly extracted) – 1/4 cup
- Lime juice – 2 tbsps.
- Salt to taste
- Fried onions – 1/3 cup
For the prawn masala
- Pound the ginger and garlic together to a paste.
- In a broad non-stick pan, heat 2 tbsps. of oil (use oil used for frying the prawns). Add the sliced onions, coconut cuts, slit greenchilly, curry leaves and shallots and fry them on medium high heat till golden brown in colour. Stir in the pounded ginger and garlic and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. Add coriander powder and sauté for a minute and then add the chopped tomato. Stir fry for 15-20 minutes or till oil starts to separate.
- Stir in the thick coconut milk and cook till dry. Add enough salt to this masala.
- Add the fried onions, fried prawns, mint leaves, cilantro, garam masala powder and switch off heat.
For the fragrant rice and pulao
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain out all the water from the rice.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil from the oil used for frying the prawns and add the shahijeerah. When fragrant add the rice and fry till the rice turns opaque.
- Mix together the coconut milk and water and bring this mixture to a boil.
- Add the boiling mixture and 1.5 tsps. of salt to the rice. Bring to a second boil, lower heat and cover cook till the rice is soft and all the water is absorbed. Let it stand undisturbed for 10 more mins.
- Add 1/4 cup of fried onions and the prawns masala & mix carefully nwith the cooked rice.
- Serve with raitha and pickle/ even with biriyani chammanthi.