This recipe will make a 10″ flat bread. This bread is very soft and moist.
For the pizza base
- All purpose flour – 11/2 cups
- Instant yeast – 1.5 level tsps
- Lukewarm water – 2 tbsp + 3/4 cup (/ as needed)
- Sugar –1.5 heaping tsps
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Sunflower/ Olive oil – 3 tbsps.
For the topping
- Pizza sauce – 2 tbsps.
- Butter – 1 tbsp.
- Onion – 1 small , sliced long & thin
- Sun-dried tomatoes – 5 numbers; chopped ( I used Sacla Italia)
- Olives – 2 tbsps.; chopped
- Mozzarella cheese as needed ( I like to use Monte Cristo Brand modified with palm oil)- 200 grams; grated
- Oregano – a pinch ( for sprinkling)
- Chopped fresh basil – 2 tsps.
- Salt and pepper powder as needed
- For the pizza base, mix together the plain flour, yeast, sugar, salt and lukewarm water. Knead the dough for a good 15 minutes, also keep banging the dough as you knead. Cover with a damp cloth & keep undisturbed for 1-1.5 hours/ till the dough doubles in volume. The dough for breads/pizzas have to be really, really soft.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of butter in a pan & fry the onions till they turn pink.
- Punch the risen dough and place it in a 10″ pizza pan. Poke it with a fork at several places. Spread the pizza sauce on it followed by a thin layer of grated mozzarella cheese (around 100 grams). Top with the chopped olives, tomatoes and onions. Sprinkle more grated mozzarella cheese(100 grams), oregano & crushed basil on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the cheese.
- Bake the pizza in a preheated oven at 200C for 18 minutes/ till the cheese melts & turns a bit brown.
- Serve it hot.