For the burger patties:-
- Apple – 2 numbers; grated
- Onion – 1 cup; very finely chopped
- Green capsicum – 1 small; finely chopped
- Cooked rice (I used Rosematta rice) – 2 cups (measured after cooking)
- Bread slices – 4 numbers; powdered in the mixer to get fresh bread crumbs
- Salt – 3 tsps.
- Pepper powder – 2 tsps.
- Egg – 1 number; beaten
- Semolina – as needed
- Oil for deep-frying
For assembling the burger:-
- Burger bun – 6 numbers
- Butter – as needed
- Tomato ketchup – as needed
- Mayonnaise – as needed
- Cheese slices – 6 numbers
- Lettuce leaf – 6 numbers ( immersed in ice water)
- Tomato – 1 medium,. thinly sliced
- Onion – 1 number, cut into thin slices
Let’s make the apple-rice patties first
- Squeeze out some of the juice from the apples.
- Mix together the grated apples, chopped onion, chopped capsicum, fresh bread crumbs, salt, pepper powder and the cooked rice. Take care not to mash the rice as you mix.
- Divide this mixture into 6 equal portions. Shape each portion into a patty, dip in beaten egg and coat with semolina.
- Deep-fry in hot oil on medium high heat till golden brown in colour.
To assemble the burger
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ½ tsp of butter on the inside of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tava (griddle). Keep aside.
- Apply 1 tbsp of the mayo spread and 1 tsp. of tomato ketchup on the buttered side of all the bun halves.
- Place a lower half of the bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered-spread side facing up.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf and a patty over it. Place a cheese slice over the patty.
- Place a tomato slice and onion ring over the cheese slice and cover with upper half of the bun with the buttered side facing down and press it lightly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 5 more burgers.
- Serve immediately.
Source:- Sandwitches and Burgers by Tanya Mehta