- Jaggery – 250 grams; grated
- Water – 2 cups
- Coarse rice flour ( I used Nirapara puttu podi) – 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut – 1.25 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
- Powdered cardamom – 1/2 tsp.
- Oil for deep-frying
- Boil 2 cups of water along with the grated jaggery and allow the jaggery to melt. Stir in the rice flour, salt, cumin seeds, coconut and cardamom powder. Cook on low heat till the whole thing comes together as a mass. Knead the dough well when it is still hot.
- The next day, make balls from the dough. Shape each ball into a roundel with a hole in the center. Areerappam has the same size and shape of uzhunnuvada.
- Deep fry in hot oil on medium low heat till dark brown on both sides.
- Serve warm. They would be crispy outside but soft inside.