- Coconut oil – 2 tbsps.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Uluva – 1/4 tsp.
- Thinly sliced shallots – 3/4 cup
- Greenchillies – 2 to 3 numbers; slit
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coriander powder – 1 level tbsp.
- Red chilly powder – 3/4 heaping tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Snakegourd – 1 cup; cubed
- Brinjal – 1 cup; cubed
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp.
- Shallots – 4 numbers; thinly sliced
- Heat coconut oil & splutter the mustard seeds. Add the uluva and fry for a minute. Add the curry leaves, sliced shallots & greenchilly. Cook till the shallots turns golden brown in colour.
- Add all the masala powders & fry for a minute. Stir in the snakegourd and brinjal cubes and fry for 5 minutes.
- Grind the grated coconut to a very smooth paste adding 1/2 cup of water, little by little. Add this coconut paste, 2 cups of water and salt. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
- Cover cook for 25-30 minutes or till the veggies are cooked. Add sugar and mix.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a wok & fry the shallots till golden brown in colour. Pour this over the curry and mix.
- Serve hot with rice.